Down In A Gulp
Wednesday, May 23, 2007
A Name too hi-tech for themselves
.
It is quite common for Chinese to give themselves a 'corporate' name when they step into the corporate world. Its like back in high school, his friends know him as Chau Beng, but in the corporate world he is known as Sergei Tan. Every time when I hear names like these, I get blown away immediately. You know, it is like they generate wind when they walk and it can blow you away because Sergei Tan is walking towards you!

I mingle around IT people and they find the most high tech names to give it to themselves. Sometimes it just does not suit their personality at all. But I respect that because in a way its a marketing tool. Imagine that you introduce your husband called Elvis Lee to all your colleagues. 2 years down the road, your colleagues will still remember that he is called Elvis, who wouldn't.

Same goes to a programmer that I have come across by the name of Lucas. Woah, George Lucas. That is big, and you gotta be big enough to carry that sort of name.
What about Linus Lau. Yea I met Linus at my office just the other day.

First thing that came to my mind, Linus Torvalds?? See, you gotta be somebody to carry the name Linus as well!

One day when I was rummaging through my name card holder, I came across this person called Bacon Ow! Imagine him going like this in Zouk:

Bacon: Hey, you look so hot dancing on the podium all night.
Chick: Oh really, Thanks! The name's Sherilynn. How about you?
Bacon: A beautiful name befits a beautiful person like you. My name is Bacon.
Chick: Ohh..hehheeh....hi Baaacon. Anyway, nice to meet you Baaacon, i gotta go, my boyfriend is waiting for me.
Bacon: *_*

As if the name card was not enough to keep me laughing all day. I came across another name card and it almost made me gasping for breath.
His name was Black Lim.

Black: Hi I am Black
Dude: Oh, then I'm White. LOL
Black: No really I am Black.
Dude: You blardy nigger wannabe. You are Chinese ok. That makes you Yellow.
Black: But I am Black.....

Labels:

posted by DaphStar* @ 6:22 AM  
6 Comments:
  • At May 23, 2007 at 4:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    There is this cina-ted bimbo I know who joked that my parents must have thought I was a boy and named me Adrianne even after I explained that there're loads of (gorgeous) girls going by the name and that Adrianne is a feminized Adrian. Guess what she calls herself? - Kinky. Go figure

     
  • At May 23, 2007 at 7:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ahaha... Well! Well! Long time no posting anything here. Talking about names... You remind me I have a friend named Steve Kok. Cool!

     
  • At May 24, 2007 at 12:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    In my line of work, I handle mortgage files of customers. Thus, funny/embarrassing names are always a good laugh. I've come across: Butt, Fagot, Crouch, Stalker and believe it or not, Anus. LOL

    Adrianne is a sweet name for a girl; if anyone is naming herself KINKY she either has an English level of a kindergarten who thought KINKY is a cool name, or IQ in the territory of the negatives. LOL

    cheers,

    Ongzilla

     
  • At May 24, 2007 at 6:31 AM, Blogger DaphStar* said…

    Adrianne: The name Kinky is sooooo Sungai Wang. Did you raise an eyebrow and ask her if she knows the meaning of Kinky? Oh man, I love embarrassing people like these.

    Ongzila: are these ppl for real??!!!!

     
  • At May 24, 2007 at 5:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ongzilla: Thanks, I think it's a sweet name too :P

    Daphstar: No I didn't bother asking her cuz I'm too nice to ask. I remember seeing this singing contest on tv and this girl called herself Orange. Haha. If I hadn't seen her face, I'd thought Orange sounds like someone short, fat and pimply

     
  • At May 24, 2007 at 7:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Deng! The Orange is the last 8tv's " 绝对SuperStar" contestant. And she is the 1st Runner-Up. But personally I dislike her performance. She is not up to the standard yet can enter final round due to the judging system by SMS voting.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
About Me

Name: DaphStar*
Home:
About Me:
See my complete profile
*Star Chatz
http://www.meebo.com/rooms

*Starz Count
Counters
Free Counter
*Star Postings
Previous Post
Archives
*Star Homiez
*Star Boutiques
*Star Tunez
  • * 1) Bartender - T-Pain
  • * 2) Shawty - Plies Feat T-Pain
  • * 3) Valentine - Lloyd
  • * 4) Get It Shawty - Lloyd
  • * 5) Buy You A Drank- T-Pain feat Young Joc
  • * 6) Tambourine - Eve
  • * 7) Wake Up Call - Maroon 5
  • * 8) Little Of Your Time - Maroon 5
  • * 9) LoveStoned - Justin Timberlake
  • * 10)Buddy - Musiq Soulchild
List of Weird Names
  • Black Lim
  • Dadmond Tan
  • Auto Yap
  • Bacon Lim
*Star Visitors

*Star BlogLog
Powered by

Isnaini Dot Com

BLOGGER