Down In A Gulp
Friday, April 20, 2007
MSG tastes so good!
I had the feast of the week today at Chilli's. Had my favorite Quesadillas + sour cream + Guacamole.

Flicked from here

I think I ate like 7 quarters of Quesadillas and that is a lot to me because I don't eat very much on average. Now I am so stuffed. First two bites, it was heavenly. 3rd , 4th I was stuffed. Subsequently, it was suffering. I still can't believe I ate so much in a day.
After that hefty meal I was as thirsty as a camel that crossed the dessert. I finished a can of green tea in a gulp (hence Down In A Gulp), drank a big glass of water and still I felt really thirsty.
Reminds me of the same feeling I get after chugged on a bowl of prawn noodle.

You can never quench this kind of thirst by just drinking water. It is only by eating a ton of fruits that you can eliminate the dryness of the tongue.
I realized that the Quesadilla is full of MSG, Monosodium Glutamate. The culprit that makes us crave more of the certain kind of food.

MSG is everywhere especially in Chinese cooking. Malaysians can never live without MSG in their food. That is why we never do find Singapore food tasty in any way. Everything is just bland and tasteless. Imagine, prawn noodles without MSG, Bak Kut Teh without MSG,Mee Hun Kueh without MSG, life would be meaningless. We are just too accustomed to overly tasty food that we can't live without MSG flavoring in our cuisine.

Ajinomoto is a company formed to manufacture and to market MSG. Modern commercial MSG is produced by fermentation of starch, sugar beets, sugar cane, or molasses. These are natural flavor enhancers and is considered to be safe by FDA. However, in 1995 the FDA reported that an unknown percentage of the population may react to MSG and develop MSG symptoms ie chest pain, headache, nausea...

Our Health Ministry has yet to regulate the usage of MSG especially in hawkers. They use the cheapest form of MSG which is probably the most harmful form. But without MSG, their dishes won't be able to sell so well. As long as it doesn't hurt their pockets , they will continue using MSG till the end of days. So again, what are our government doing? Looking into the wrong areas, ie: banning fast food ads. Excuse me, when are you going to impose labeling foods containing MSG when people in other countries have already been doing it for umpteen years.

All I can say, if the food is too tasty to be true, better watch out! I'd rather have less tasty food and not suffer later rather than enjoying overly tasty food.

p/s: I am still chugging on jugs of water like a camel.

Labels:

posted by DaphStar* @ 8:56 AM  
7 Comments:
  • At April 20, 2007 at 8:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Man I'm hungry...

    Ongzilla

     
  • At April 21, 2007 at 12:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Next time you're feeling like a thirsty camel after an msg-laden meal, take pineapple+apple+watermelon juice

     
  • At April 21, 2007 at 1:05 AM, Blogger DaphStar* said…

    Adrianne: do you take that concoction? sounds like it can really quench thirst.

     
  • At April 21, 2007 at 3:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes I do, I take juices on a daily basis. Remember to use green apples though. Pineapple+apple+watermelon is supposed to remove excessive salt and nourishes the kidney and bladder.

    Here are some other 'concoctions' that might be of help:

    Apple+cucumber+celery=for stomach upsets and headaches

    Tomato+carrot+apple=improves skin complexion and prevents bad breath

    Bittergourd+apple+milk=reduces internal body heat (this mixture sounds disgusting but it's actually quite good)

    Apple+cucumber+kiwi=improves skin complexion and adds moisture to dull skin

    Pear+banana=regulates sugar intake

    Carrot+apple+pear+mango=counteracts toxicity and fights oxidization (however you spell that)

    Honeydew+grape(red ones)+watermelon+milk=increases cell activities and strengthens body immunity

    Papaya+pineapple+milk=improves metabolism

    Banana+pineapple+milk=prevents constipation

     
  • At April 21, 2007 at 3:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh I forgot to mention...please do not add sugar or water when you blend them ok

     
  • At April 21, 2007 at 4:00 AM, Blogger DaphStar* said…

    I once had an overdose of carrots until my palms were orangy.
    OH I like bittergourd + apple + orange.
    Celery + green apples are also great.

     
  • At April 21, 2007 at 4:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Gasp! Got or not? Overdose of carrots can do that to you? Haha
    Shall try bitergourd, apples and orange...think the sour-ness in the orange can mask the bitterness of the bittergourd. My fiance's mum plants her own bittergourds and funny enough, they're kinda sweet

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
About Me

Name: DaphStar*
Home:
About Me:
See my complete profile
*Star Chatz
http://www.meebo.com/rooms

*Starz Count
Counters
Free Counter
*Star Postings
Previous Post
Archives
*Star Homiez
*Star Boutiques
*Star Tunez
  • * 1) Bartender - T-Pain
  • * 2) Shawty - Plies Feat T-Pain
  • * 3) Valentine - Lloyd
  • * 4) Get It Shawty - Lloyd
  • * 5) Buy You A Drank- T-Pain feat Young Joc
  • * 6) Tambourine - Eve
  • * 7) Wake Up Call - Maroon 5
  • * 8) Little Of Your Time - Maroon 5
  • * 9) LoveStoned - Justin Timberlake
  • * 10)Buddy - Musiq Soulchild
List of Weird Names
  • Black Lim
  • Dadmond Tan
  • Auto Yap
  • Bacon Lim
*Star Visitors

*Star BlogLog
Powered by

Isnaini Dot Com

BLOGGER